October 07 2022
We’re still starting our day with LALtoday and coffee four years later. | Photo by @thelaltoday
📸 Instagram post
After hitting “send” on our morning newsletter, we took to Instagram to share our very first post. Since then, we’ve shared 3,200+ posts and grown to nearly 21,000 followers. Push us towards that goal by following us to get even more local news every day.
We’ve been helping you plan your week since the very beginning of LALtoday. Looking back at our first list of August events, you can see some that are still going strong, like the Lakeland Food Truck Rally or singer-songwriter nights at Hillcrest Coffee. Also on the list? Our launch party that we held at Cob & Pen that week.
You’re not supposed to share birthday wishes, but ours is to continue sharing more Swan City content with our readers for many more years. What do you wish for? Tell us what you’d like to see in the next year of LALtoday — stories you’d like to see us cover, events we need to visit, and the history you’d like us to discover. Here’s to many more years, Lakeland.
A party is better with friends. Share with someone you know to celebrate with us.
Click here to have your event featured
- 80’s-Themed Mid-Month Party | Wed., Aug. 17 | 9 a.m.-12 p.m. | Crunch Fitness, 5218 S. Florida Ave. | Free | Dress up in your 1980s attire and stop by Crunch for food, fun, and fitness — this event is open to all. 🏋
- Email Basics | Wed., Aug. 17 | 10-11:30 a.m. | Lakeland Public Library, Larry R. Jackson Branch, 1700 N. Florida Ave. | Free | Learn how to manage email software such as creating emails, attaching files, + organizing your inbox in this introductory class.
- Trivia Night | Wed., Aug 17 | 7-9 p.m. | Union Taproom, 245 W. Central Ave., Winter Haven | Free | Pour your own draft beers + compete in a round of trivia with friends. 🍺
- Swan City Improv | Thurs., Aug. 18 | 7-8 p.m. | Laugh Out Lounge, 19 3rd St. NW, Winter Haven | $10 | Enjoy a night of laughs with improvised comedy from Swan City Improv. 🦢
- Pregnancy & Childbirth Education Class | Thurs., Aug. 18 | 6:30-8:30 p.m. | Watson Clinic Main, 1600 Lakeland Hills Blvd. | $50 | Attend this labor and delivery class taught by a licensed nurse — reservation cost includes a workbook, coupons, and educational information.
- WWE Presents NXT Live! | Fri., Aug. 19 | 7:30 p.m. | Lakeland Armory, 4140 Drane Field Rd. | $10+ | Purchase your tickets for this night of live WWE wrestler action — doors open at 6:30 p.m.
- Mystical Moonlight | Fri., Aug. 19 | 7-9 p.m. | Painting with a Twist, 3670 Harden Blvd. | $39 | Paint a scenic night sky while you sip your favorite beverage — supplies included. 🌙
- Seafood Wine Dinner | Sat., Aug. 20 | 6:30 p.m. | Publix Aprons Cooking School, 4730 Florida Ave. S. | $70+ | Sit back and relax as a chef prepares seafood entrees and taste wine pairings in this demonstration-style cooking class.
- Yoga in the Gardens | Sat., Aug. 20 | 9-10 a.m. | Bok Tower Gardens | $15 | Everyone from beginners to experts can feel the flow with this gentle + relaxing outdoor yoga class. 🌱
- Fine Arts at the Magnolia | Sun., Aug. 21 | 10 a.m.-4 p.m. | Magnolia Building, 702 E. Orange St. | Free | Browse the art of 19 artists + craftsmen during this indoor fine art show endorsed by the Polk Museum of Art.
We have a monthly guide filled with events + activities you can plan for in advance. Click the button below to bookmark ideas for upcoming date nights, family outings, and time with friends.
For tickets to local and regional events, check out our 6AM Tickets resale marketplace.*
If your system isn’t cooling your home effectively + your electric bill is high, it may be time for new AC. | Photo provided by Payne Air
Did you know? Lakeland’s average daytime summer temperature is 91 degrees — and that’s not even including the heat index. ☀️
That means ensuring your AC system is in good working order is one of the best home upgrades you can make. Thanks to their financing program, Payne Air makes purchasing a new system easy + affordable, with:
- Low monthly payments
- Preferred interest rates
- Flexible terms
Their best deal? 0% financing over 36 months, so you can stay cool without sweating it.*
- 89º | Thunderstorm | 70% chance of rain
- The Oakbridge Centre Publix store (3636 Harden Blvd.) will be demolished and rebuilt. The store, originally built in 1988, will feature an updated design, including new flooring + entrances. Developers expect construction to be complete within a year, with demolition starting as early as this September. 🏗️ (The Ledger)
- Lakeland city commissioners approved the development of five new single-family homes on a 35-acre tract of land at the intersection of Medulla Road + Hamilton Road in 2023. These new builds will be part of a larger neighborhood of 29 homes on an adjacent 10-acre property. 🏘️ (The Ledger)
- Assure Infusions’ new robotic manufacturing plant in Bartow will begin construction in October. The 60,000-sqft IV fluid production facility will be located on Century Boulevard, and will create 100+ local jobs. A groundbreaking is set for Tues., Oct. 11. (The Ledger)
- The City of Lakeland is in negotiations over naming rights + usage of the RP Funding Center. As their five-year deal from 2017 reaches an end, the Lakeland Magic’s contract has been extended by one year, with some changes. There are several entities being considered for naming rights, including RP Funding. (LkldNow)
- Art Crawl is looking for contemporary fine artists to share their work and compete for prizes at this year’s event. The juried art festival will take place in Munn Park on Sat., Nov. 5. Interested in participating? Don’t crawl, run — the application deadline is Sun., Aug. 21. 🖌
- The Florida Air Museum (4075 James C. Ray Dr.) is offering half-off admission on Fri., Aug. 19 to celebrate National Aviation Day. Fly by to view nine exhibits — including the Florida Aviation Hall of Fame — and watch the new NOAA Science on a Sphere show for educational fun.
- These showstoppers are just getting started. Single show tickets for RP Funding Center’s 2022-2023 Broadway Series go on sale Mon., Aug. 22. See the hit shows “My Fair Lady,” “Legally Blonde - The Musical,” “ Fiddler on the Roof,” and “On Your Feet!” when they come to Lakeland from December to March. 🎭
- Through her fundraising efforts with “Shoe Us The Love,” Pastor Sandra Astacio of Daughters in Christ Ministries is collecting 2,500 pairs of shoes in Lakeland to donate to 24 developing countries. See the list of drop off site locations to donate your shoes before the fundraiser ends on Wed., Aug. 31. (WFTS)
- Make your cake and eat it, too. Victor & Mika’s Bakery (371 Ave. D NW, Winter Haven) is hosting a class to teach participants how to bake + decorate mermaid cupcakes. Get your tickets for the Vegan and Gluten-Free Dream Dessert Series class, happening on Sun., Aug. 21 from 2-4 p.m. 🧁
- While the first day of fall isn’t until Thurs., Sept. 22, who says we can’t celebrate early? Stop by Divicious Deli and Coffee Shop (128 E. Main St.) from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. for a slice of its pumpkin loaf and embrace the sweater weather on the horizon.
- Make a splash at the Mermaid Magic Enchanted Mermaid Festival on Sat., Aug. 20 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. at Enchanted Fairytale Hollow. Kids can meet mermaids, join in games + storytimes, and hunt for treasure at this magical family event. 🧜♀️
- This will make the crowd go wild. Raymond James Stadium, home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, is introducing 3,600 new seats along with new food + drink options and a fast entry lane. You can thank a recent spike in demand for Buccaneers tickets for these new additions. (Fox 13)
- Did you know Lakeland Regional Health has a walk-in care center for illnesses, injuries, and wellness services? Read: No appointment required. See which conditions are treated at the Gateway Walk-In Care location.*
- Luxury South Lakeland home in Delphi Hills | 4 BD, 4 BA | Contact for price | This luxury Hulbert Home in the new, modern Delphi Hills boasts enticing architecture + accents (read: stone columns, Bahama shutters, and screen-enclosed outdoor living). 🏡 *
Content marked with an * is brought to you by our advertising partners and helps make this newsletter free.
Remember to keep pets cool while you’re out on the town. | Photo by @morleygirlthedood
Fill your final summer days with these events you can enjoy with your furry friends.
Bark in the Park | Fri., Aug. 19 | 6:30 p.m. | Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium | $6+ | Buy a Pooch Pass with your ticket to take your dog out to the ballgame and receive a doggy gift bag.
Puppy Party | Sat., Aug. 27 | 10 a.m.-12 p.m. | Scout & Tag | Free | Celebrate National Dog Day with free “puppuccinos,” a dog treat tasting bar, and a chance to win a gift bag from Scout & Tag and Rafa Natural.
Dog Days Downtown | Fri., Sep. 2 | 6-9 p.m. | Downtown Lakeland | Free | Kick off Labor Day weekend watching dog obedience + trick demonstrations, and let your pups try the agility course.
If you can’t wait for these events, take your pooch to lunch at these local restaurants with dog-friendly patios, or treat them to an afternoon at one of Lakeland’s dog parks.
zero? That can't be right
EARN FREE GEAR
Keep earning and learn other ways to earn points here. Then redeem them for exclusive Lakeland swag at Six and Main.
Share now with your friends, family, and all Lakeland lovers! Just click the buttons below:
Here is your unique referral link : ⤵️
Copy, paste, share + save this in a safe spot... or check here each morning anytime you need it.
Editor's pick: Readers, meet Eve. I adopted her this weekend at the SPCA Florida (5850 Brannen Rd. S.) where you can get up to 100% off adoption fees this month with the fortune cookie promotion. She helped me write today’s newsletter, so please direct any paws-itive feedback her way.
Missed yesterday’s newsletter? Become an expert on the Chamber of Commerce, here.
Did a friend forward this free newsletter to you?
Content marked with an * was created in partnership with 6AM City's advertising partners. Paid content helps keep this newsletter free. 6AM City may also receive a commission on purchases made through affiliate links in this newsletter.
ADVERTISE | SHOP | CAREERS | ETHICS